Your dining places guide
Dining areas are the centre of communication. This is where the family meets, exchanges the experiences of the day, where friends come together and talk for whole evenings - so it is important that the chairs are comfortable, that everyone sitting has enough space and that you and your family and friends feel completely at ease. To ensure that this is possible right from the start, you should already give some thought to the purchase:
Checklist: What to look for before buying a dining table
- How much space do you have for a seating group? When taking measurements, also take into account the additional space requirement of approx. 30 cm if a chair is pushed backwards when you stand up.
- Is the new furniture to be integrated into existing furnishings? Pay attention to the colours and materials already provided. It is best to take carpet, fabric and other material samples with you to the furniture store.
- How many people should sit at the dining table every day and what is the maximum number of people who can be seated comfortably?
- Do you need an extending table? For how many people? Is the position of the table legs suitable?
- Do you want to store anything under the seat of a corner bench? How heavy will the contents be?
- Do you need a robust tabletop? Then surface sealing with DD varnish, two-component varnish and acrylic varnish or granite (not lacquered) are recommended, for example
Manufacturer of dining room furniture
This is what you should look for when buying a dining table:
- Is the table still stable when extended and is the surface even?
- How heavy is the table? Do you want to move it?
- Can you easily move the chairs (with armrests) under the tabletop?
- Do you bump your knees or legs in any sitting position?
- Are the edges of the table, chairs and/or corner bench rounded (risk of injury)?
The correct care of natural stones:
- Slate or coloured slate:
Relatively little care is necessary here. Stains (especially alcohol and fruit juices) should be removed immediately with a soft cloth and possibly a little washing-up liquid. Glass edges should also be wiped away as soon as possible!
This high-quality stone is particularly scratch-resistant and robust. Nevertheless, grease, oil and acidic liquids should be wiped up immediately. Granite can be cleaned with water, soapy water and a hand brush - but you should be a little more careful with a lacquered slab, as the lacquer can get scratched.
- Marble and onyx:
These delicate surfaces definitely need a lacquer finish - but you still won't be able to avoid scratches completely. Stains and glass edges should be removed immediately with a damp (not wet) cloth, otherwise visible residues will remain!
- Imitation marble:
These are easy to clean and lightfast. They do not discolour as easily as real marble.
Tips for the right seating comfort for chairs and corner benches:
- The ratio of seat height to table height is correct if you
- you can sit on the chair and move it under the table without bumping into it,
- you can place your forearm on the table at a horizontal angle,
- and your feet are flat on the floor with your thighs horizontal.
- The backrest should be slightly tilted backwards. A curvature at the level of the lumbar vertebra is also optimal.
- If the seat is not upholstered, it should ideally resemble a depression. The front edge of the surface should be rounded and padded so that it does not pinch. Also make sure that the chair is stable even when loaded on one side!
- The advantage of corner benches is the additional storage space under the seats. Disadvantage, however: When the bench is fully occupied, it is very difficult to get up from the table.
The guidebook of the Federal Environment Agency - download now as an e-book for free!